Sunday, September 18, 2011

16 + miles - first FALL run

I'm running this year's New York City Marathon to raise $5000 for the Lower East Side Girls Club.  I have $800 until I reach my goal - please consider donating! Any bit helps. CLICK HERE TO GIVE!

Yesterday's weather was most certainly more "Fall" than end of Summer, despite what the calendar says. Each week I will continue to up my mileage (with a few "easier" weeks...work up to 17, then pull back to what is apparently an easy 14) until I hit 20 miles. Then I taper for the marathon. Dressing is different. I need some long sleeves. You are cold, you are hot and you're cold again. I like the hot runs better.

Per usual I got out much later than I had intended. These long distance runs require a bit more planning as just lapping blocks in Manhattan gets very dull, very fast.

I decided to do what I shall now call "the Brooklyn Loop." I was missing my old neighborhood. Leave the Lower East Side, run down to the Manhattan Bridge, down to Prospect Park, a loop around the park and then return to Manhattan via the Brooklyn Bride. Yowza.

Running down to the Manhattan Bridge is both pretty (see pic - view of Brooklyn and Williamsburg Bridge) and a crazy maze through over passes and Chinatown. 

I made my way down to the Atlantic Center (for a stop at the world's worst Target) where the new Atlantic Yards are being developed:

They're quite controversial, I won't get into it. I lived nearby in Cobble Hill for 5 years and I have to say it's the greatest place I've ever lived. I am not sure if this is a positive thing for the area.

Jay-Z is a fan though (being an owner of the Nets and this stadium being their future home, I am sure he is impartial):





Prospect Park is truly beautiful. I wish I had taken more advantage of it when I lived there. This week's long run was not nearly as fun as last week's. I really got exhausted at 12 miles. I didn't feel well, my legs hurt. I called my husband and started crying. My iphone battery died, meaning I had no music and lost my mile tracker. I made it back up to Downtown Brooklyn and tripped in front of a group of teenagers (Fall run indeed). I was embarrassed but I am glad I caught my fall  - it would have taken me out for the rest of the season, I am sure. My legs were weak and wobbly, I am surprised I have not tripped before. I grabbed a muscle milk (disgusting but I needed the protein badly) and hopped on the subway home. I am not sure of my total run tally but it was at least 16 miles, probably closer to 17.


In case you're wondering, this is what feet look like after a 17 mile run:


I have generally attractive feet but they've basically been to war. I am not exactly sure why they look dirty as I had light socks on. Too much information? Maybe, but the world needs to know of my abuse (bc then you'll feel bad for me and DONATE to my fundraising cause).

Now for the scariest part...the ICE BATH. After 17 miles your legs are so sore. My quads were red and trembling. An ice pack or two to reduce inflammation is simply not enough.  I've been advised by advanced runners to jump into a tub of cold water with a few bags of ice. Keep a coat or sweatshirt on and get those legs in there for 10-15 minutes.

After the initial shock, sitting in there feels GREAT. FANTASTIC. It really makes a huge difference in recovery and apparently is a fantastic way to prevent injury. I am not making this up - more here.Then your legs are BRIGHT red and you can barely move them for about 20 minutes. Which is fine because after a snack I usually pass out for a bit anyway.

Off for a recovery swim today and then a treasured day off. I am SOOO tired but swimming really does loosen me up!

Only 49 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment